Natomas Unified earns high marks in resilience report

Pixabay

Pixabay

Jack Fedor, Natomas Pacific Pathways Preparatory

Natomas Unified School District officials recently released a report to the board of trustees which details some of the district’s outcomes in 2021-2022, including summer opportunities taken advantage of by students, learning enrichment opportunities and assessment data.

“I think the report confirms what we know about our staff, our students and parents,” said Natomas Unified Area 3 trustee Micah Grant. “A very resilient bunch.”

“This week’s (board report) was nice, it was long, but it was great,” said Area 2 trustee Ericka Harden.

Titled “Our Culture of Resilience,” the report begins by explaining that 1,278 high school students took summer courses during the summer of 2022 and that those students earned 13,136 high school credits in that time period. That is a 253 student increase and 289 credit increase over the summer of 2021.

The report continues with details on district efforts during the summer of 2022 related to student learning.

More than 2,300 users accessed a website created by the school district which provided lessons and activities for students over the summer of 2022.

More than 55 students were enrolled in a program which prepared students for transitional kindergarten or kindergarten during the summer of 2022.

More than 200 students participated in SMUD Museum of Science and Curiosity summer programs in a partnership with Natomas Unified. Students in K-6 participated in programs at the museum and also at remote camps at Jefferson School and Natomas Park Elementary.

Other highlights from the report:

• Advanced Placement exam results in 2022 also increased district-wide since the last time all Advanced Placement classes were held in-person. 
  • Inderkum High increased its pass rates on Advanced Placement exams by 14 percent, Leroy Greene Academy increased its pass rates by 25 percent and Natomas High increased its pass rates by 5 percent.
  • Students taking Advanced Placement exams also increased by 108 in that time period.
  • As for students taking International Baccalaureate exams the number of students increased by 22 in 2022 compared to 2019, and 87 additional exams were passed in 2022 compared to 2019.
  • Social-Emotional and Mental Health services in Natomas Unified also increased in the 2021-22 school year compared to the 2018-19 school year.
  • Group counseling increased by 171 students, individual counseling increased by 81 students and 120 more students had suicide risk assessments.
  • The health clinic operated by the school district also was frequented, with 1,743 COVID-19 vaccines administered and 925 individuals tested for COVID-19. There also were 228 other immunizations, 469 sports physicals and 46 physical exams administered and 131 individuals were provided with TB testing.

“The reports are amazing,” said Natomas Unified Area 5 trustee Susan Heredia. “In our board communication last Friday . . . there was a wealth of information. I always appreciate them because I feel well-informed and I like reading about all of the great things we do.”

[Pictured below is Leroy Greene Academy, one of the schools mentioned when discussing the increase of students taking Advanced Placement exams.]