Fast fashion, sustainability focus of new Natomas Pacific Pathways club

Jack Fedor

More stories from Jack Fedor

Pixabay

Pixabay

As student clubs at Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep have begun to meet for the new school year, existing clubs such as Refugee Relief and Resettlement, Pi-Rates and UNICEF are joined by some new additions.

One of the new clubs, the thrift club, is launching an effort to educate people on the impacts of fast fashion and to promote the sustainability and recycling of clothing while also having style.

At their most recent meeting on Sept. 27, club members participated in a swap meet in which they exchanged clothing with one another.

The previous meeting consisted of education about the environmental impacts of the fashion industry, combined with the introduction of a clothing drive which the club is hosting.

The club is also looking to have a thrift sale once a semester. The store would include clothing which was donated from the club and would potentially look like the thrift store which was open in the spring as part of a senior project.

Profits from the thrift store and fundraisers the club holds will be donated to a local organization.

The club is also looking to showcase donated clothing on the club’s Instagram page, as well as in a possible fashion show at Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep.

Lor, Singh and Sy agree that the best way for students to be involved with the club is to either donate unwanted clothing or volunteer to sort clothing at a club meeting.

Another club which will be making its debut at Natomas Pacific Pathways Prep is the Book Club.

The club, which is led by Inaya Sajid and Chloe Durham, will hold meetings once every other week. 

“(The club’s purpose is) to read books and to have conversations about themes and things which were found interesting in books,” said Sajid.

The club was created as a group of friends love reading and they wanted a place to be able to share what they read.

Each month the club votes on a book that members are interested in reading. Then halfway through the month, the club discusses the first half of the book and at the end of the month the second half.

“We (also) plan on doing book drives and volunteering at libraries,” said Sajid.

But she said the club’s main goal is to have lively conversations about books which are selected.

“I am looking forward to making new connections for students through something we all love, reading,” said Sajid.