The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

McClatchy High grads head out for new schools and new opportunities, in state and out

Pixabay

As the school year ends seniors are all getting ready to transition to their next big step. For a lot of people that is college. C.K. McClatchy seniors now have to do the first day ritual all over again: meeting new people, meeting new teachers, finding a new group of friends, and finding extracurriculars that they love.

Senior Arianne McCollough will be going to Willamette University, a small private liberal arts school in Salem, Oregon.

“One of the things that really drew me towards it was the fact that not only was I getting recruited for both soccer and track but also that it’s literally right across the street from the capital  of Oregon, so when you’re on campus you can see it.”

“Activism is actually one of the main reasons I decided on Berkeley— they are known for their free speech movement and activism,” said Leila Stollenwerk. “I know that I will be able to find tons of outlets for activism whether it be environmentalism or feminism or pretty much anything to be honest.”

Some people are taking a little bit of McClatchy with them and are continuing the activities they did when they were walking the halls of CKM.

“I did McClatchy Music so I want to join the university orchestra or a smaller ensemble where I will play cello,” said Juliette Allayaud, who will be attending UC Santa Barbara.

“I actually just picked my class schedule for my semester and I’m so excited to finally study and learn about what excites me, not just the classes I’m required to take. I am taking a political science class and international relations class, both subjects HISP and McClatchy really pushed me to find interest in,” said Eliie Sutliff, who is attending University of Wisconsin-Madison.

“Following my passion for debate which I followed at McClatchy as president of the debate team, I will be taking a communications class solely focused on public speaking. And finally, I will be taking a digital media production class, pursuing my interest in film and videography which VAPA helped me fall in love with.”

But college is also a place where one experiments and tries new things.

“Because there is so much nature I plan to take advantage of it and join the Excursion Club which takes students rock climbing, backpacking/camping, surfing, skiing, and even skydiving,” said Allayaud.

“I’m really excited because as far as joining clubs go I’ll probably be joining a BSU and some kind of community service club or Volunteering club or something like that. And probably something more like fun like a movie club,” said McCollough, 

“I want to go into politics so one of the things I hope to accomplish is really get integrated into the legislative cycle and the policy work in Oregon and I really hope to have some type of fellowship or internship by my first year in college.”

“UC Berkeley has like 1200 clubs so I just really want to go find some clubs there,” said senior Leila Stollwnwerk. “In general, I’m just really excited to meet new people and find others with similar interests/values.”

For the seniors who are moving out of state they said they are planning to make a change at the new place they will reside in.

“I also plan on getting involved in political work in WIsconsin since  it is a swing state. I would love to work for Tammy Baldwin’s campaign,” said Sutliff.