The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cosumnes Oaks High hosts Kindness Week

COHS Students decorating Valentine’s Day cards for friends and family.
Ch

The spring term (the months preceding the school winter break) are often the toughest for high school students: The weather is cold, the sun sets early, and moods are low. However, Cosumnes Oaks High School ASB students are working to uplift spirits within the school community with fun, school-wide events. During the third week of February, COHS spread messages of love and positivity by hosting a Kindness Week.

Kindness week is a student-led initiative that COHS hosted during the week of Valentine’s day. It serves to remind students of the holiday’s meaning in our lives – not just for romantic love, but for the value of friendships and self love as well.

The festivities started on Tuesday, when ASB students created kindness notes and spread them throughout campus. Students who found the special purple heart notes redeemed them for candy at lunch. Senior class governor Catherine Phan, a key organizer of the project, shared more about the festivities.

COHS Valentine’s Day Food Fair. (Charynna Torres Calderon PeBenito)

“[Tuesday] was based on the movie Love, Actually,” she said. “There’s a line from the movie where it’s like [‘If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around’]. So to… emulate that, we all spent a week writing sticky notes… we wrote over 200 sticky notes in our group… maybe even more.”

The ASB students met at school early in the morning and posted these notes around campus.

“So then people as they went around school, they would find that love actually is everywhere. And it would be like positive notes or like self-love quotes or like motivation,” Catherine said.

One example of a quote was a lyric from Crooked Smile by J Cole: “Love yourself, girl, or nobody will.”

See the TikTok video below to see the various messages these notes included.

Kindness Week decorations in the cafeteria. (char)

Other events throughout the week included Kindness Rock Scavenger Hunt – finding painted rocks around campus and turning them in for candy – a food fair, and Valentine’s Day card decorating. Students made cards for friends and family at an outside table during lunch.

“You need to love yourself and also be open and willing to love other people around you,” said Raamis Malik, another key organizer of Kindness Week. “And yeah, Valentine’s Day is very much [about] couples and stuff like that, but there’s also platonic love, love between your friends and family and… loving yourself. So we wanna promote that in Kindness Week.”

“The world just could always use a little bit more kindness,” said Phan.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTLLDNGgh/ [Source: cohs_asb on TikTok