Pleasant Grove needs to offer more academic assistance to students

Pleasant Grove High School is undoubtedly a great institution that has produced many successful alumni over the years. However, there is always room for improvement, and the school can do more to help its students achieve academic success.

It is no secret that academic success is crucial for students to achieve their future goals. However, not all students are able to perform at the same level or pace. Some may struggle with certain subjects or topics, while others may require additional support due to personal circumstances. 

PGHS does offer tutoring sessions for students, but not many students have the time to take advantage of it because of sports and other commitments. Therefore, the school should ensure these students are given the academic assistance necessary to help them improve their performance. This could include one-on-one consultations with teachers, or resources such as online study guides.

Providing more assistance to students could also help improve their overall mental health and well-being. When students struggle academically, they might feel discouraged, anxious or stressed. This can harm their mental health and lead to a negative cycle of decreased academic performance and reduced self-confidence. 

By providing academic assistance, schools can help students feel more confident in their abilities and reduce the stress and anxiety that comes with academic struggles.

Finally, strengthening academic support can also improve the school’s overall performance and reputation. A set of studies by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology shows that improvement in school performance leads to better test scores, higher graduation rates, higher college graduation rates and even higher earnings as adults. 

By offering more academic assistance, Pleasant Grove High can help students achieve academic success, improve their mental health and well-being, and improve the school’s overall performance and reputation. 

It’s time for the San Juan district and PGHS to make the investments necessary to achieve all of these goals.