The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Bring back board games!

Video games still hold allure for me but the in-person experience of board games lives on as well
My personal collection of the Ravensburger line of Villainous board games.
Josh Cullers

We live in an increasingly digital age, and while there’s been very intense debate over its role in society, there’s one area of life where it has dominated more than anywhere else. 

Entertainment. 

Nearly every form of entertainment nowadays involves a screen – from watching movies to even drawing. However, the most prevalent form of electronic entertainment is the world of video games.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m an 18-year-old male barely out of high school, I enjoy video games quite a bit. It’s a very convenient way to stay connected with friends and have a great time no matter how far apart we are. Even by myself, it can be a valuable source of entertainment.                                                                                                     

No matter how much fun video games can be though, they will never top the joy of a good board game. 

I may be in the minority here, but I’ve realized in the last couple of weeks there are a lot more board game enthusiasts out there than I originally thought. My last week of school I took my entire collection of the Ravensburger Villainous line of board games (which I highly recommend) and every period during the day I was able to find at least one person to play with, including my teachers. 

Board games specifically have many benefits for those who play them. Because many board games are strategy-centered, playing them can help strengthen your mind. While not all board games are super complex, they all help you engage intellectually and physically because of the physical components. 

If I remember anything from Advanced Placement Psychology this last year, it’s that reinforcement through physical means is the best form of reinforcement. The feeling of the pieces and cards in your hand as you form plans to beat your opponents does wonders for the mind.

Because board games are physical games that require players to be in the same space, they help to bring people together to hang out. Sure it can be nice to hear your friends in a voice chat while playing a video game, but being able to be in the same room while still playing a game you all enjoy is priceless.

Now while video games do have some benefits, there’s one thing that board games have the video games can’t duplicate – board games present the perfect opportunity to put down the screen and detox. 

It’s no secret by now that a large amount of screen time is not good for anyone. So put those phones down, turn off the TV and come to the table with some friends and family to enjoy a game without the pixels rotting your brain.

The other benefit to board games is that there is something for everyone. I personally am a huge nerd (and proudly so) and enjoy somewhat complex games that require strategy and planning. 

I grew up playing Shoots and Ladders and Monopoly, which of course are not the most strategically centered games. However, when I would look elsewhere I would find board games like Risk and Settlers of Catan that were too complex even for me. Then of course there are trading card games where collection is just as important as strategy.

For someone first delving into board games, it was very intimidating trying to find something that was just right for me. That’s when I finally found Disney Villainous by Ravensburger, a game that was just complex enough for me to be able to strengthen my strategic brain while featuring characters and franchises I love. 

After being released in 2018 it has since come out with various expansions and now includes Marvel and Star Wars characters – needless to say I’m extremely enthralled with the game (to the point where I recently stayed up until 1:30 in the morning to place my pre-order for the newest expansion). If you like Disney, Marvel, or Star Wars and like strategy games, I’d highly recommend starting with this game.

Even if you think it’s not for you, give it a try. On a family trip to Florida last summer, my cousins brought some of their favorite board games and in the interest of spending time with them I joined them for a couple of rounds. The first game we played was Ravensburger’s Alien board game (based off of the hit sci-fi film from 1996). I had no idea what I was doing but after a little bit of time I finally understood and had a blast. We played a lot of games that trip, and even the ones I didn’t particularly enjoy I still had a great time just playing with my cousins.

When it comes to board games, there is something for everyone out there. While it can be very intimidating to dive in and find your perfect game, you will eventually find one and it will be so worth the wait. 

A good video game is easy to find and can only bring so much satisfaction, but going the extra mile to find a good board game and more importantly a good group of friends or family to enjoy it with is worth it.