The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Woman mayor seeks to improve West Sacramento

Martha Guerrero has been mayor of West Sacramento since December 2020. She is West Sacramento’s first female mayor. 

“I have many goals to improve and help aid the city of West Sacramento,”said Guerrero. 

When running for mayor, Guerreros main campaign tactic was introducing herself to the community. She went door to door and met with voters and community. members,

“The people really wanted someone that would be responsive and interested in their concerns for the city. They wanted someone who would help the city grow, that was my main motivation for running for this position,” Guerrero said.. 

Martha also shared the hardships of running for mayor and holding such an important position. Her father passed away during her kick-off event which was incredibly hard for her. Another factor was that it was the peak of Covid which made it hard to canvas, not to mention the terrible air quality and weather at the time. 

“During these difficult times what really kept me going was the community and the encouragement to make improvements to this city,” Guerrero said. 

“People believe that the mayor has a managerial role but there are processes that even I have to go through to make certain changes,”’said Guerrero.

One major policy that she supports is increasing affordable housing. Guerrero also wants to make sure that the city has strong first responders and invest in other resources that will improve the city, such as parks. She also wants to make sure that smaller businesses are able to thrive and go throughout the process of getting a permit easily in order to level the playing field. 

Guerrero earned her undergraduate degree at  California State University, Los Angeles. For her graduate work she attended the University of Southern California. Guerrero worked for the department of mental health as a legislative analyst prior to her current position. 

She is currently a social worker and also works parttime for Los Angeles County as a legislative representative. Prior to this position, Guerrero was also elected council member in 2018 for the city council.

As mayor Gurrero wants youth to know that, “There are programs and opportunities out there for you to be able to grow and become successful”.