The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Cosumnes Oaks enforces a new, more stringent student cell phone policy

Aiming to crack down on excessive cell phone use in classrooms, Cosumnes Oaks High School principal Zachary Cheney has implemented a policy to prohibit their use during classes.

Teachers welcomed the new policy. Students had a mixed response, with some saying it has improved classrooms and others calling it unnecessary.

Cheney said he is working to make Cosumnes Oaks High School what he envisions as a “better school than before.” He said the cell phone policy is part of that effort.

The policy states students should not be on the phone at all. The first time students are caught using a phone in class they receive a warning. The second time their phone is confiscated. On a third offense, parents must come to school and pick up the phone.

Lydia Robinson, parent of Cosumnes Oaks freshman Gianna Bryd, said the school called her about her son, and asked her to come pick up his phone from the front office because he was disobeying the policy.

“I’ve never had an issue with my son and his phone before,” she said. “I think that everyone is so driven by their phones in life now, that they forget there’s a world outside of it.”

Cosumnes Oaks teachers said cell phone use was getting out of hand.

Aja Mitchell, a history teacher who has taught at Cosumnes Oaks for 15 years, said she has never seen so much attachment to cell phones.

“I’ve never seen so many cell phone issues here. Before quarantine, students were not this attached,” She said.

Some students confirmed the pandemic increased their cell phone usage.

“I think the reason I use my phone so much is because during quarantine we had to use devices everyday,” sophomore Kylie Shannon said. “There was no in between. Everyday I used my phone and my laptop for 2 years. I believe it’s going to be harder for the newer generation to part from devices in high school because of the pandemic.”

Students interviewed said their screen time this year is the highest it’s ever been, reaching over 14 hours a day. Students can keep track of their usage on their cellphones.

The new policy has produced positive effects, according to teachers and some students. Teachers say they are able to teach without interruption and students said they don’t get distracted in class as often as before.

“I think we’re making progress already,” said Kimberly Rosario, a math teacher who’s been struggling with student cell phone usage.

Some students, however, criticized the policy, calling it unnecessary.

“Why would they make us download an app to be used throughout school if they would just set up a policy? We don’t need a cellphone policy,” sophomore Leana Hart said.