The website of the Student Education Reporter Program.

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Sacramento School Beat

Polls

Will Artificial Intelligence improve or damage student learning?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Inderkum hosts first district-wide Multicultural Festival on campus

Image from the show put on by Inderkum’s Mandarin Class) at the district Multicultural Festival.
Benjamin Lopez

The Natomas Unified School District held its first-ever Multicultural Festival this year at Inderkum High School, and the event drew a crowd of more than 1,500 people, district officials said.

“It was a memorable experience that brought together students from different schools to all enjoy the same games and diverse activities that our community has to offer,” Inderkum sophomore Jace Lenh said. 

View of the festival decorations at Inderkum. (Benjamin Lopez)

The event featured decorations and posters made by students in their art classes, put on display alongside cultural exhibits showcasing instruments or interactive items, like henna designs. 

“The Multicultural Festival was a great experience to bring people of all ages from the local area to be introduced or learn more about a culture unfamiliar to them,” Inderkum ethnic studies teacher Lisa Stubenrauch said.  

Inderkum Senior Harshpartap Dhillon helped operate a booth with the Sikh Honors and Service Society.

“I think this festival is an amazing chance for students of all backgrounds to gain more understanding and respect the unique traditions and practices we all have,” Dhillon said.

Student art was showcased at the festival. (Benjamin Lopez)

The festival also included free food from different cultures, along with performances in the school theater for passersby to enjoy. 

Inderkum Sophomore Lauryn Sachao, who participated in a show of Chinese culture with her Mandarin class, said, “It felt gratifying to entertain other students from different schools, and use our creativity to create an enjoyable product.”

Sachao said she hoped the festival becomes an annual event.

“Considering how many students and parents attended, the district should definitely make this a recurring event, food and fun activities, what is a better way to bring people together,” Sachao said.

Another view of the multicultural event at Inderkum High. (Benjamin Lopez)